Friday, March 25, 2011

Weekly Wrap-Up: Daddy's Home!!!

After spending four weeks working across the country, my husband is finally home!  It's great to have him home.  When we picked him up at the airport this morning, we saw him inside waiting for his luggage holding a red American Girl bag.  It was so funny to see and he said that many people commented and asked what was inside!  Our girls were particularly interested but he made them wait until we got home to open it!  He got them each an American Girl pet.

Meet Chocolate Chip...

And Honey...
They love them!

According to our scheduled lessons, you might think our school week was unsuccessful.  But, if you look at what we did off the schedule, it was productive.  Sometimes school has to happen in more practical ways.  And that's what this week was mostly about. 

We continued reading about David in our Bible lessons and skimmed through some history in Streams of Civilization finding ourselves deeply saddened by some things that took place.  I wrote about this in a previous post titled Disturbed by Ancient History and appreciate the comments left on it.

Using RightStart Math is still going well for both girls.  Emily is learning about check numbers.  I was tempted to skip these lessons, thinking that they are irrelevent.  But I'm glad I decided to go ahead with them because Emily enjoys (yes, enjoys!) working with them.  She likes charts and coded puzzles, so this is right up her alley!

The weather was great the first part of the week.  We spent some time outside and I finally went to the doctor for my back pain.  He believes it's muscular, which is what I suspected but dealing with it for over four weeks was beginning to concern me.  Of course, it has felt much better after my appointment.  My parents watched the girls while I was at the doctor's office and my dad, unknowingly, gave them a science lesson!  He took them around in his golf cart, showing them the trees the deer had rubbed their antlers on.  They couldn't stop talking about that.  So I asked them why deer would need antlers since they are herbivores.  Katie quickly answered "because they fight for the females!"  You gotta love her enthusiasm!  She has always loved animals.  And they love her.  Poor Emily didn't stand a chance to answer!

Wednesday brought us a huge hail storm.  I've never seen hail cover our yard the way it did this week.  It was an impressive storm.  It hailed steadily here for about five minutes, and then cleared up.  The girls collected some hail balls and put them in the freezer to show Daddy when he came home.  Some balls were pretty big but most were about the size of a dime or a nikel.





A friend and I organized a fundraiser luncheon held after our Bible study Thursday morning.  We had a great turn out and raised over $200!  The money went to the American Cancer Society to support our Relay For Life team.  Emily couldn't wait to count the money in the bucket!  Any opportunity to use math in real life thrills me.

Friday came quickly this week...and early!  We started the day at 5:00 a.m. since Hubby had an early flight.  It was an all-nighter for him, so I didn't complain about leaving so early to pick him up.  We all enjoyed a nice breakfast together but were too tired to do much of anything else.  The cold and gloomy weather provided a perfect day to rest.

It's good to have my hubby home!



Linked with Weekly Wrap-Up and Weekly Homeschool Highlights

7 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you that your husband is home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that you are all together again! Wow, hail.... great for learning, but that's when you hope your car is in the garage :) Hope you have a great weekend!

    Visiting from MFW Homeschool Highlights :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hail -- yikes!
    And what you said about sometimes school being even more productive when it happens outside the classroom is so true. (But I really like checking off my list, and I have to fight the urge to stress about it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! Now that is some kinda hail!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurray for Daddy coming home - boo on the hail. We had a storm like that here last summer. I was amazed at how much damage could be done in so little time. Were your cars inside?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That was QUITE a hail storm, huh? Yikes! Stopping by from Weekly Wrap-up!

    Jessy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Schedule or no schedule, your kids had an opportunity to serve this week. I'd say that's worth a lot! :)

    And I'll have to go back and read your older post about history. We're only in Adventures right now, so I still have a couple of years until I have to start thinking about all of that!

    Visiting from the MFW Homeschool Highlights linkup. :)

    ReplyDelete