Friday, October 8, 2010

A Bitter Sweet Moment

Emily and I did a little home economics today.  She's been showing interest (well, begging) to learn more about cooking.  So she made pancakes for lunch and helped prepare dinner.

In the meantime, Katie was feeling a bit left out and came to me with a folded piece of paper, handing it to me with a long face.  As I unfolded the paper, she stepped back with her head down.  She had drawn a picture of herself with tears steaming down her face and just above it, she wrote her very first complete sentence (independently): "Katie is sad."  Awe!  I was so excited about the sentence, thinking that she's finally getting it!  But at the same time, I felt sorry for her being so sad.

After comforting and praising her, she realized her own progress in writing, and the sadness dissipated.  And knowing that her big sister was proud of her made Katie feel even better.  What a special moment.

1 comment:

  1. Aww... how sweet. I love when my daughter writes these little notes on her own. Definitely a keepsake. Have a great weekend! If you are interested, I'd love to have you join my hop today www.arborcreek3.blogspot.com. (Faithful Friday Followers).

    ReplyDelete