Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Strange Beginnings

So far, this week has been odd.  The barking dog next door kept me up two consecutive nights and I was so tired today that it was hard to focus.  The kids picked up on that (of course, why wouldn't they?), so their motivation was lacking as well.  Emily told me the dog kept her up too, so I'm sure that impacted her focus as well.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has taught a child to read.  I'm struggling, I think.  I don't really know.  I feel like Katie should be able to fluently read beginner books.  But she's isn't.  We started 1st grade and have followed MFW curriculum from day one with her.  She is learning long vowel sounds and how words are spelled with them.  I'm looking for ideas on easing her frustration when she incorrectly says a word.  Any ideas???  I've never taught a child to read until now and I'm feeling very incompetant.  Maybe MFW just moves a little slower.  Or maybe it's just that I'm not experienced here.

Then, there's Emily's curriculum that recommends celebrating Jewish feasts when scheduled.  I want to do them.  Really, I do.  But it's just not working out.  So we talk about them.  And we make some of the projects that go along with the feast.  Is that good enough?

The cooler weather is throwing me off too. I just want to lay in bed a little longer in the morning! It's a good thing we do our morning Bible lessons in my bedroom!

Maybe I'll feel better about things tomorrow.  And maybe the rest of the week will not be so strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment