Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Finding Time for Fitness

In a previous post, I mentioned something about exercising and was asked how I find time for it. Instead of replying to that post, I decided to answer the question in a new post because I think many people (especially moms) struggle with finding time to exercise.

Here's the deal.  I'm not going to pretend like it's easy or say "you have to make time for it and just do it."  The fact of the matter is it happens when it happens.  One daughter goes to gymnastics at the YMCA two days a week for two hours each day.  So, I'm already there.  Other times, I go swimming with kids and make sure I swim laps in the pool.  You know, the real laps that increase the heart rate!  Then, there are nights like tonight when the entire family went to the bike path and rode for more than an hour.  Some nights, we go for a walk in the neighborhood after dinner.

Do it when you can and incorporate exercise into some sort of family routine.  The kids love the time together as a family and they benefit from it too!  When you take the kids to the park, instead of sitting on the bench, join in on the action.  Believe it or not, swinging is exercise!  And if the park you go to happens to have a monster slide, have at it!  Climbing those stairs will do wonders for your muscles and your heart.  Try out the monkey bars (a huge weakness of mine - my poor arms!).

Speaking of arms, I'll leave you with something funny.  We have a big fitness ball, or whatever they are called.  I saw someone at the gym using it to do push-ups so I thought I'd give it a try tonight.  Ha!  The whole family was laughing at me.  Those were the three hardest push-ups I've ever done in my life!  I can't even count the forth one because that's when I fell off the ball!  At least I tried.

That ball is great for many things.  (I know I said I was "leaving" but this is good.)  Emily (the gymnast) showed me a great abdomenal exercise to do with the ball.  Here's where I wish I had a video to show you.....or maybe not!  Anyway, lay flat on the floor (I prefer to use a mat) with your hands above your head.  Place the ball between your hands and as you lift it above your head, bring your legs up to pass it to your feet.  Then, slowly bring the ball down to the floor with your feet, keeping your legs straight.  Lift the ball back up in the same manner passing it off to your hands and back down again.  It really is great and would be even better if I could actually do it!  You thought I was really good, right?!  Not so much.  She is though and does it beautifully.  So if I ever do video the exercise, you will see Emily doing it and not me!  But, I try.  And you should too!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I've tried the ball exercise also. Not pretty sight. :)

    ReplyDelete