Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My Father's World ECC

This year, we are Exploring Countries and Cultures with My Father's World with my 9 year old and MFW Kindergarten/First Grade with my six year old. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on using the World Geography book with my 9-yr.-old. The book is written for grades 5-8, so I'm wondering if I should hold off on it or just try a few pages with each country we visit.

We started week 3 today and it's going really well so far. I like it more than expected. We really liked Adventures last year and I miss the United States history, but this is exciting too and we've learned so much (together) already!

My 6-yr.-old started Kindergarten late last year, so we're finishing that this year before moving on to first grade. She wanted to jump right in to first grade once she saw the science books. I hated to tell her that she had to finish K first! She's starting to read, which is very exciting. Her older sister went to public school for K & 1st, so teaching a child everything about beginning reading is new to me. I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it, but I owe God the credit. He led us to this curriculum and is guiding our days. I couldn't do this without Him!

All in all, we've had a great start to a new school year.

1 comment:

  1. World Geography is actually a very fun book. I use it with my 7 and 9 yr olds. I make copis of what pages I think they'd want to do and we do them together. They don't need to answer every question, just know how to get the answer. If that makes any sense. I try to work on a page twice a week. We really enjoyed Latitude and Longitude page, and the endangered animals page. I think my 7 yr old gets it better tham my 9 yr old. I think it's really just to help them do research. I went to ask kids .com and let them type in what we were looking up. Next is the mountians.
    As for blog designs, I use www.thecutestblogontheblock.com They help me. I'm not computer litterate on little bit. :)

    I'm also teaching my little one to read. She is very slow to it. Part of me wishes we sent her to school just learn reading, then take her back home. I think it would be so much more enjoyable if I did that. :)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete